um. yey?

Well, we found a house. We’ve seen better and we’ve seen worse. It’s a bit small upstairs, but it has a really nice kitchen, two good sized living rooms, plus it has a really nice garden and a good size extra room in the garden, wired for electric that we can use as an office or whatever. It’s in a cul-de-sac, and you can walk out the front door onto a big field, with a playground and shops on the other side. It’s right down the road from Olivia’s school, and I think still within bike riding distance for Devon’s school.

We’ve paid our holding fee and now we start the application and references bit. I’m not sure sure how important our credit rating will be for this, hopefully if there is any problem due to our DMP (debt management plan) we can just get a guarantor and that will be it.  Then of course there is the whole coming up with £2000 by move in.  Considering we currently have £40 in our bank account, I’m not sure exactly how we’re going to do that.  The first months rent is a given, it will just be our normal rent payment, to a different company! So that leaves £966.  We are going to apply for a crisis loan, and the inlaws have offered to help, and then if absolutley necessary I can go to my boss.  I don’t want to do any of that, but I suppose there isn’t a lot of choice. I can be full of pride or I can get a roof over my kids heads. I’ve borrowed money before, ton’s of it. But, this is different. I don’t want to borrow anymore money. I’m too old, I’m trying to save money, not spend it all paying back my parents. (Yes, mom and dad- I know!)

The kicker. The owners are teachers who are headed out to Kenya for two years. Two years. Which means in mid 2010 we may be doing this again. Which gave us pause. But, another house that we had liked, was the same sort of thing. And while nothing like that was specifically mentioned on other houses we’ve viewed, there were none shouting about a 10 year contract. I don’t think we’re going to find a rental that we can live in for a good long time. That worries me, I don’t see how we’re going to save up £20,000 or so to buy a house in two years, not to mention the current state of our credit.  But, what can I do?

So, I’m hopeful. I feel better that we’ve actually made a decision, but it’s not set in stone and I’m still incredibly worried about the credit check and coughing up the move in fees. But, I’m not sobbing on the computer desk anymore, so that’s a start.

Wish us luck.


One response to this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: